The Society was founded to solicit, acquire, preserve and provide access to a collection of artifacts, historical paper, photos, ephemera and miscellany of Amador County history. Through newsletter, this web-site and other media it has and will encourage citizen support of historical preservation."
The Amador County Historical Society (ACHS) was founded c1944 to gather and preserve the county's rich gold rush history since 1848. ACHS encouraged and persuaded county supervisors to acquire the old Brown family, 2-story home on Court House Hill from family heirs and established the Amador County Museum dedicated on June 18, 1949.
The Society soon headquartered there and began gathering and collecting the historical paper, photos, ephemera and artifacts to preserve and display in the museum. In early years the Society operated the museum, and, when the county hired an on-site curator, ACHS held their meetings in another building on the grounds. Though the county owns both the building and collection, ACHS has always been involved or supportive of the museum and its collection. In June 2013, the ACHS officially took over the operation of the museum and mine model exhibit. With volunteer help, the museum is now open on a regular basis.
The Society in the late 1970s and early 1980s led a campaign to preserve the old county hospital. In 2010 it helped preserve and acquired half interest in the Amador Central Railroad constructed in 1904. It has an office in downtown Jackson on Main Street.